Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Mark of Admiration

Our 1st sem results rolled out. That was 2 days ago. I scored a 8.89 which I felt decent. Later I messaged a friend of mine, Kumar, who was studious and a scoring student. He had scored 9.84. I sent back this message "Congratz.........". There ended the episode. Nothing special, extraordinary or out of the box. However......

Today, while relishing my afternoon nap, something came to my mind. You could have added an exclamation mark in that last message to Kumar. First I felt silly, but someone was in my mind nagging me, pulling me to this thought. "How many times have you felt bad when a message you received from someone did not have an exclamation mark?". Something like this came to mind, I am not sure what. Remember, I was sleeping. True, I do feel bad whenever, I do not find this punctuation in my inbox message, when I expected one.

It is truly a mark of admiration, or suspence that gives you the feel, of the scenario. Wow! feels pumping with power than a plain wow. Similarly, Happy X'Mas! and Happy New Year! carry the life and warmth with which you wish your friends and well-wishers. Think about the difference it brings. You will find your thoughts fly.

(!) was called the mark of admiration until the mid 1600s. Featured first in the Luther Bible, it was become a frequently used symbol in advertisements and theater scripts. It carries the feel, the life and the power which it's vocal version portrayed.

1 comment:

Saketh~ said...

An absence of a ! or the ending with a '.' can make a hell a lot difference :-)

I often use (or leave out :-D ) '.' '!' to convey subtly sarcasm,resent etc etc

N btw,wats with the wtf in my blog?;)
How was it?had a read?:D